Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Young voters opt for capable candidates

Kathmandu, May 14:
Young voters cast their votes enthusiastically with the hope that their locality would be a better place to live in the coming years.
The first timers also said that they felt that they had become a responsible citizen of Nepal.
“It was a different and very unique experience for me. I felt that I am a responsible citizen of the society, so I need to vote for capable people for my city,” said Ayesha Shrestha who cast her vote at the Thapathali polling station.
According to her, the youth of her age wanted someone as their leader who is efficient in mobilising resources and works in the interest of the entire community, not just for his family and relatives.
Rusmrita Yogi of Baneshwor also has expectations from the candidates whom she voted Sunday afternoon. “Although I do not know the candidates personally, I have voted for the capable ones as far as I could understand them. I think they will work for us if elected,” she said.
Unlike the older generation that followed a certain political doctrine in most of the political affairs, including voting, the new generation is mostly indifferent to politics.
“I don’t much care much about political parties. Therefore, I have voted for capable leaders and also those whom I personally know. It is better to have someone as a leader whom you know,” said Dinesh Maharjan of Kalimati.
Krishna Prasain of Kirtipur said that she voted for those who have the potential to fulfill their duties and responsibilities and work for the people. “I felt that I have fulfilled my responsibility towards the nation by voting for the right person in the right place,” she said.
The young voters also wanted the would-be leaders of the local bodies to understand the issues and expectations of the youth, like health, recreation, employment and education.
They are also concerned about the broader issues of the society, too. Especially the youth of the rural areas want to see their villages having more connectivity, infrastructure and other facilities.
“We have problems of drinking water in our village. Likewise, schools need better infrastructure and libraries. We expect that the newly-elected leaders will be able to fulfill those needs of the village,” said Suresh Regmi of Gandaki Rural Municipality, ward No. 5 of Gorkha district. Talking to The Rising Nepal over the phone, he said that youths enthusiastically participated in the elections.
According to the Election Commission of Nepal, about 1.9 million people have been listed as new voters this time.

As most of them are young and less concerned about political ideology, experts say that their votes might be decisive in the local polls that were held in about two decades. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Story

Govt prepares primary draft of DRR Policy

Kathmandu, Apr. 29: The government has prepared the preliminary report of the National Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) Policy and Strategic ...